Monday, October 6, 2008

Quick Roster Update

The Bucks announced their final three training camp signings today in veteran forward Bobby Russell, second-year defenseman Vincent Zaore and rookie defenseman Amory Mudrewich.

Mudrewich and Russell were both in camp today, while Zaore has been at Houston Aeros camp (along with possible Bucks forward Darryl Smith) and is expected to arrive later this week.

I'm going to have a story in tomorrow's paper about camp opening with a focus on the team starting the year with a No. 1 goaltender (Sebastien Centomo), meaning the signings will just be in the notes, but I will post more on here about them and the first day of camp later.

UPDATE: Here are coach's thoughts on the new guys that are already in town:

Russell: "We needed one more guy to come in here and do the job the way that he did, the way that he's capable of doing. Everything I've heard about him is just excellent. He's fast, he shoots the puck hard, he comes to play, he'll block the puck with his face if he has to to save a goal and to win a hockey game, and that's the kind of guy that I want. Just being around him the first couple days, he's a classy individual, and his whole family is. He doesn't ask for respect; the way he controls himself and way he conducts himself, they respect him automatically. I know that he's the type of guy that I can throw some questions at and he'll answer them and do a good job for me."

Mudrewich: "The thing about Amory is our scout went and saw him out at a free agent camp in Niagara Falls, and he said every time there was a guy knocked down, he was the guy knocking him. He's a very physical defenseman, and I like that. I like physical defenseman, so I gave him a chance to come in here and show his stuff."

No comments: