Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Everything's Questionable

I have had an evening full of ridiculous, and partially self-induced, stress, so you're going to have to excuse me for not blogging quite as much as planned.

The leftover quotes from my notebook are going to have to wait until tomorrow, but I do have a few from my interviews today.

As of now, all the guys who were questionable when I wrote the notebook are still questionable, and when I spoke to Coach Ruskowski about the goalie situation tonight, he said the backup he was trying to get in here will not be coming to town after all.

Due to having two centers hurt, Ruskowski is thinking of putting Serge Dube up in that position, but that creates problems in and of itself with two defensemen also hurt. Here's what he had to say about that:

"That’s the only logical thing I can do, put him back at center ice again, because he’s a well-rounded player, he’s smart, he knows the position well, and he’s a guy I would depend on to play defense and forward. We have the luxury of having a couple boys who can come back; we can put Dube back at the point or put (Igor) Agarunov back at that position."

As of practice this morning, these were his thoughts on the goalie situation:

"I don’t know. I’m waiting for a phone call, we’re having a talk with a goalie today, and we’ll see what happens. Matty’s not bad, and it’s for one game, so if it’s a situation where that comes about, Matty will back up. But if not, we’ll get somebody else in here longer term."

And this is what he was trying to work on in practice today:

"Regroups, coming at them with speed, shooting the puck on net, getting guys to the net, causing screens and deflections. We have to get back to the basics, get the puck on net and jam away at it the best we can."

Ryan Gibb will be getting his first start against the Texas Brahmas in a pretty dire situation and with the knowledge that his backup isn't exactly the most experienced player on the team:

"It’s always important to come out as good as you can be and on top of your game, I guess moreso tomorrow if you want to look at it that way," he said. "But we have one goal in mind, and we’re ready for Texas. Should be a good game."

As previously stated, I'll have more about everything tomorrow, seriously. The past few hours have been pretty rough on me, and I really just want to go home.

Of course, I can't leave without congratulating Sebastien and Amanda Centomo on the arrival of their baby boy, Jaxson Cruz. Best wishes to the happy family and many congratulations on the new addition!

I am thinking of going to the morning skate tomorrow just to check up on all the injuries and whether or not Darryl Smith, Ryan Salvis and Vincent Zaore-Vanie will be playing. Of course, if Zaore does get taken off the IR, that means someone else has to go on it...or go somewhere else.

Tonight's CHL Score: Oilers 4, Killer Bees 3 (OT).

Tonight's NHL Scores: Thrashers 4, Canadiens 2; Rangers 4, Ducks 2; Hurricanes 2, Penguins 1; Senators 3, Capitals 2; Kings 5, Wild 2; Oilers 4, Blue Jackets 3; Coyotes 6, Red Wings 3 (?!?); Sharks 2, Canucks 1 (OT).

No comments: