Friday, January 9, 2009

Game Day No. 33

The second half of the season starts for the Bucks (19-10-3, 41 points) tonight as they host the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs (20-11-2, 42 pts.) for "Pink in the Rink" night.

To call this a big game would be quite an understatement, and I'm sure the last thing the Bucks want after losing eight of their last 11 is to play a team like the Mudbugs.

But, here they are, and I'd say this one is a must-win unless the team wants to undergo a major overhaul during the All-Star break.

As my story in today's Times makes pretty clear, Coach Ruskowski wants his team to play better defense. Yes, I know that's something every coach wants, but the defense has been pretty dismal this season and completely lost at times when captain Serge Dube misses games.

This is the third meeting of the season between the Bucks and Mudbugs, with all three having been played at the LEC. The Bucks will make their first trip to Bossier City, La., for the teams' Jan. 26 matchup.

More on tonight when I get to the arena; I'll be there pretty early so I can put together something for the newsies about the"Pink in the Rink" turnout.

UPDATE: I've been in the arena for a little while now, and I'd just like to share that the Bucks will be donating money regardless of how high the attendance numbers are now. If it sells out, they'll donate $10,000, and if not, they'll still be donating, though the amounts have not yet been disclosed.

The check presentation will take place during the second intermission.

According to Bryan Benway, they were about 1,000 tickets away from the sellout as of a few hours ago. We'll see if they can get the rest of the tickets sold in time.

ANOTHER UPDATE: As of 6:50 p.m., there are already probably at least 1,000 people in the arena. That is very unusual for a 7:30 p.m. game in Laredo.

AND YET ANOTHER: These pink hockey sticks are amazing. I kind of want one to like hang up in my apartment or something. I also wouldn't mind obtaining a pair of those socks. Even trainer Bobby Moore, equipment manager Matt Brayfield (who never wears anything but all black) and Vice President of Bench Operations (haha) Jorge Lopez (who's always in a blue track suit) are wearing the Bucks' pink polo shirts. And the game notes are printed on a very lovely fluorescent shade of the color. This is one of the few times I actually feel like being a girl helps me fit in while I'm in a press box, haha.

1 comment:

Robert Keith said...

Thanks for all you do Joy. I love reading your blog. I check it a couple of times a day...I hope you get up to NYTEX sometime to see the Brahmas and the Bucks square off. Drinks on me!

Robert Keith
Texas Brahmas Insider