Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Quick Notes

Today has been quite insane for me, so I'm just going to post a couple quick things before I take off.

First of all, forward David Croteau has left camp because he has an enlarged spleen and was told playing would be dangerous to his health.

Defenseman Kevin Flather, who also sat out on Monday, was on the ice for both sessions today.

The guys got a lot of work done today, learning systems and skating hard in the morning, then practicing them and working more on breakouts in the afternoon before scrimmaging.

In case anyone was wondering who had been tabbed to play alongside Jeff Bes and Darryl Smith, it seems Lance Monych has earned that right for now. Coach Ruskowski seems to like what the three of them are doing together so far.

My interviews today (and subsequent story in tomorrow's Times) focused on transplants - as in players with pro experience who are new to the Bucks. Got to meet six of the guys who I hadn't before, and everyone is overwhelmingly positive so far. That may seem like a given, but it wasn't really so much the case last season.

Anyway, I have plenty of interviews to transcribe and other random tidbits to share, and I will do that as soon as humanly possible. Maybe if I'm picking up wireless when I get home, I'll start then. Until I can get around to posting everything, are there any specific questions anyone has?

For the anonymous commentor who asked about Alex Goupil and Jason Dixon not returning, here is what Ruskowski had to say:

"You know what, I don't (know what they're up to now). Alex Goupil started off pretty good for me, but at the end of the season, he just wasn't there. He didn't perform the way that I expected him to play, and I just thought it was better for us. If he came back that way, he wasn't going to benefit the team. So I just had the decision that I wouldn't offer him a contract.

"Dixon, I would have loved to offer him a contract, but we agreed to terms, he said he'd call me back, and he didn't call me back. I kept calling and couldn't get a hold of him. I wanted him, and I wanted (Erick) Lizon back, a big, tough forward. I wanted them both back, but Lizon went to the East Coast league. He wanted to try that league, and he went for more money than I could offer him. And then, Dixon, I have no idea where he is. He never returned my calls, never returned my e-mails, never got back to guys like Besser and Rivet. They called him, and he never returned their calls. I'm not here to beg guys to play, I'm here to put a team together, and if I have to beg, it's not the player for me."

So that's what the deal is. If anyone hears from Dixon, be sure to let him know.

2 comments:

Jorge M. said...

Too bad about Croteau, I really wanted to see if those incredible numbers might transpire in this league.

Health comes first.

JM said...

Coach is right about Goupil. He started off the season really well and kind of lost his scoring touch. He was not consistent enough last year.