Thursday, October 1, 2009

Dube Reaction

Sorry for the delay in updating; it's been a very hectic night at the office for me.

As stated earlier, Bucks defenseman Serge Dube announced his retirement today during a press conference at the LEC.

After Steve Weidlich's departure earlier this week, Dube was the only original Buck remaining, and he had been the captain of the team since 2006. He played at least part of all seven of his pro seasons with the team, always standing among the league's top offensive d-men and earning various honors for his work.

Everyone tried to focus on the positives of Dube staying with the team as a ticket executive, but judging by the tears shed by Dube and Coach Ruskowski at the press conference, they are not entirely content with this choice.

However, Dube spefically told me, "I'll probably miss playing when the guys are out there and everything, but this is the decision I've made, and you have to live with your decisions and make do," so it seems this thing should last.

One person who wasn't too unhappy to hear the news was Bucks Vice President of Sales Donald Thomson, who is quite excited to have Dube on his staff. My story in tomorrow's Times will feature quotes from Thomson, Jeff Bes, Ruskowski and, of course, Dube himself.

I recorded the whole press conference, so I'll have plenty of leftover stuff to share tomorrow.

With Dube and Weidlich gone, Adam Rivet is now the most experienced (and only) returning defenseman the Bucks have on their roster, so I'm sure he'll be looked to as a leader a lot more this year than he has in the past.

Only Bes and Igor Agarunov have been with the Bucks longer, so Rivet definitely has seniority on defense, with Mike Looby next in line for a leadership role at the blue line... well, him and maybe Benjamin Dieude-Fauvel, who has one more year experience than Rivet, but all in Europe.

With all of what has happened in the past few days in mind, how do you feel about the way the team is shaping up this season? And who would you like to see wearing the captain's "C" when the puck drops on Oct. 16?

On the Darryl Smith front, all I can say is that other teams are interested... and some of them might be a bit more tempting than a return to the CHL. I'll update on that as soon as I can.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The team is looking real good on paper. We only have 11 rookies I don't see any rookies making it for the forwards because the forwards looked stacked. I see rookies making the defense and of course on has two be a goalie. I'll take a guess and say this year we'll only have three rookies. As for who wears the C we all know is going to be Rivet he's worn the A for the past four seasons it's going to be interesting to see who wears the A's.