Monday, September 15, 2008

Playing Hurt

I have to admit I've been struggling through the day with the fact that I cannot attend Jack Falla's wake or funeral weighing on my mind. Many of my classmates are still in the Boston area, whereas I clearly am not, and I feel almost guilty for being so far away that I cannot make it back to pay my respects.

A friend has been telling me all afternoon that I just need to do my work because that's what Jack would have wanted, and I know he's right. In fact, Jack's favorite saying of them all was, "You gotta play hurt." He even included it as a major point in his novel Saved, which was prefaced with the quote, "The first rule of life, love and hockey is the same rule - You've got to play hurt."

I've been reading all sorts of articles about Jack today, including his Associated Press obituary, but this blog post by Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News really hit home.

To quote Mark, "Thanks for everything, Jack. You’ll be missed. I’m definitely hurting today, but I’m going to play anyway. I know you wouldn’t want it any other way."

No comments: