Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Weidlich Signs in SPHL

As had been rumored for a while, long-time Bucks defenseman Steve Weidlich has been signed by the Mississippi Surge to be their player/assistant coach for their inaugural Southern Professional Hockey League season.

The Surge announced the news at a press conference earlier today in Biloxi, Miss., and the Bucks followed suit with a press release of their own.

Considering how much has been said about only a few players returning this season, I don't think Weidlich's departure is much of a surprise to anyone, and it's apparently something he and Coach Ruskowski discussed before Weidlich decided to move on.

I'll have a story in tomorrow's Times with quotes from Ruskowski and Weidlich about this, and I'll share what I have leftover from my conversations with them on here.

In other defenseman news, the Bucks have revealed that Thursday's press conference will be held to announce the future of Serge Dube, who "retired" at the end of the 2008-09 season.

I'll be sure to keep you posted on what is discussed at the press conference, though it is open to the public if any of you are able to attend on Thursday at 3 p.m. at the LEC.

Sorry for the delay in posting this stuff, but my car pretty much had to swim to the office, then our Internet got shut down for a while after I arrived. Hopefully those of you who live in Laredo are not in as flooded an area as I am. This city's horrendous drainage never ceases to amaze me.

No comments: