Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Bucks Bring Back Looby

The Bucks' announcement today was the return of defenseman Mike Looby for the 2009-10 season.

Looby was a member of the Bucks as an amateur for 12 playoff games when they won a President's Cup title in 2006.

Coach Ruskowski described him as a "well-balanced, all-around" defenseman and noted using him on penalty kills, power plays and regular shifts while he was here in 2006.

Since his time in Laredo, Looby has played with the Arizona Sundogs, Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees and Tulsa Oilers of the CHL and the Dayton Bombers and Gwinnett Gladiators of the ECHL.

He's apparently gotten a bit more physical since the last time he played in Laredo, and that's something Ruskowski is excited to see.

I have not had a chance to watch Looby play, but Ruskowski seems pretty excited to bring him back; what are your thoughts on this decision?

I'll have more on this signing, including quotes, after my story comes out in tomorrow's Times.

While I was talking to Ruskowski about this signing, we also chatted about what he's seen from forwards Josef Fojtik and Maxime Lincourt at Aeros camp. Here's what he had to say:

"They scrimmaged for the first time today, and each of them scored a goal, so I'm happy with that. (Fojtik is) definitely quick, no question about that. He handles the puck pretty well; the only thing we might have to work on is his discipline. I also like Lincourt; he has good size, and he scored a beautiful goal today. I think he’s a goal-scorer, no question about it. I like both of them, thought they both played pretty well."

2 comments:

JM said...

I think signing Looby was a great decision. Based on the fact that neither Dube nor Wiedlich might play this season.

Jorge M. said...

I liked what I saw back in 2006 during that amazing run in the playoffs. I was hoping he would come back the following season, now looks like a good time.