Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Bes Re-Signing Quotes

Here are some of the things that were said at the press conference last week to announce Jeff Bes being re-signed:

Coach Ruskowski to crowd:

“It’s kind of amazing to me what Jeff Bes has done in his time with the Bucks. He’s been absolutely a tremendous contributor to the success we’ve had in the past, and we hope he can have some success in the future.”

“He’s a great ambassador for the game of hockey, especially in Laredo. We’re very proud and honored to have Jeff Bes back representing our team.”

Bes to crowd:

“I’m confident in the players who we’re bringing in, that they’re going to represent the Laredo Bucks and the city of Laredo proudly and professionally and we’re going to achieve the ultimate goal, and that’s win a championship and bring the cup back to Laredo.”

Bes one-on-one:

“It’s my seventh year here, fourth year as assistant coach, and I’ve been working really hard here this summer with Terry. We only have four guys coming back from last year’s team; we’re rebuilding and bringing in some quality young men who are going to really help us contend for a championship. That’s our ultimate goal – to contend for a championship, and to win a championship.”

“Laredo’s home now. I’ve got a house here, and I’m comfortable here. I have great friends outside of hockey as well as within hockey; the Laredo Bucks organization is like family. I’m really excited to be coming back and really excited about the upcoming season.”

“I think we have a lot of talent coming in. There are going to be a lot of battles for jobs come training camp, and that’s what you want. You want to have the competition because it makes everyone else better. We’re going to be an exciting, fast, hard-hitting team. Maybe I’ve been around a while, but I’m really looking forward to the rejuvenated aspect of coming out here and trying to win a championship.”

“That injury was a big blow. I’ve had injuries before, but nothing where I had to go on season-ending IR. It’s been a long time – Jan. 26, to be exact – and I’ve been working. I did my therapy and worked really hard, and my knee is 100 percent now. Mind you, I haven’t done any contact drills or anything like that, but those will come in training camp. I’m 100 percent confident in the knee and the strength of it. I’m just looking forward to getting out on the ice with the guys. I’ve worked really hard this summer, and I will continue to work hard.”

“Our goal every year is to win a championship, and that’s the goal of each and every player coming in here. We’re all on the same page, and that’s what we’re going out to do, and it’s going to be a lot of fun.”

Ruskowski one-on-one:

“We’ve gone to four Finals, and he’s been with us every time. He’s been an All-Star, MVP of the regular season, MVP of the playoffs… he’s a pretty important part of our organization. For a small puzzle, he’s a big piece. He brings stability, confidence and a whole lot of class to the game of hockey and to the Laredo Bucks.”

"It's nice to know that I can toss a name or an idea at him, and he'll answer me honestly. If he doesn't agree with me, he'll say, 'No, I don't agree with you.' Why? Then we'll discuss it. Sometimes, he makes a whole lot of sense, and sometimes I make more. But we get along that way, and we respect each other's points of view. He's a huge help to me, he really is. He does the little things that I maybe don't have time to do, and when I give him dirty jobs, he has no problem doing them. It's been a good addition for us, and for me."

"Let's look back at the playoffs, we lost every game by one goal - well, either won by one goal or lost by one goal. I would think that Jeff Bes in playoffs is where he really thrives, and I would think he'd be a big factor for us in that first round if he was back in the lineup. Did we miss him? Absolutely. We had a lot better chance winning with him than we did without him."

"He has to show leadership. We've talked about this before, he has to be lighter, in better shape than before. When you get a bit older, you have to do the things you have to do to keep up with the young guys. He’s been willing to do that, and he’s put a lot of work and effort into it. I know that he’ll be successful.

"He's got to be a leader. A lot of these young kids are going to go to him for guidance. If they don't go to me, they're going to go to him, and surely he'll give them the right advice."

"When you only have three guys coming back, it's a huge responsibility that he's going to have, (Adam) Rivet's going to have, (Igor) Agarunov's going to have, even (Ryan) Salvis is going to see what he has. They're going to have to step up to the plate, be the type of the guys who make their way to these young kids to show them what they need to do and how to do it."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No, thank you!