Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Odds and Ends

The Mississippi RiverKings' sweep of the Colorado Eagles over the weekend apparently caught some people's attention, as the 'Kings stand atop the newest CHL Coaches' Poll.

Standings-wise, the RiverKings (32-14-3, 67 points) are still behind the Eagles (36-11-2, 74 pts.) in the Northern Conference and the Texas Brahmas (33-12-4, 70 pts.) overall.

The Eagles have lost three straight at this point, the latest being last night's 4-3 defeat at the hands of the Rapid City Rush.

Meanwhile, the Corpus Christi IceRays made the hiring of Brent Hughes official today as they announced him as the eighth head coach in team history.

Greg Rajan had stories in today's Caller-Times about Sylvain Cloutier's firing and Hughes' hiring and posts on his blog of his Q&A's with Pat Dunn and Cloutier.

I figured I may as well ask Coach Ruskowski for his thoughts on the situation while I was talking to him this morning, and here's what he said:

"I've gone through that, and I just don't like when coaches get fired. I went through it, and I know the feeling. Sylvain Cloutier's a great guy; he's a young coach, he was learning, and they didn't give him a chance to prove himself enough...let him finish the season. I think that once he has a year under his belt, he knows to expect. Then, the second year, let him do what he wants to do, bring his players in that he wants to bring in, get rid of the guys he wants to get rid of and put his team together. Then if it's not successful, I think that maybe you should make a move. I like (IceRays general manager) Pat Dunn a lot, and I like Sylvain Cloutier a lot. He's a young coach, but he was learning and he was getting better, and I just don't like when coaches get fired because like I said, I've gone through it. It's just an awful feeling."

Meanwhile, a Buck who may not have liked the reasons he came back to Laredo but is enjoying being here no less, "stepped" into the CHL Chat Room the other day, meaning you can read some reader Q&A with Brent Cullaton.

Oh, and belatedly, here is Brian Sandalow's take on the whole Cloutier thing.

Brian has also posted his weekly Southeast Division rankings and his breakdown of what's left for the Rio Grande Killer Bees this regular season. Apparently this division has gotten too boring for him, but I could have sworn he was bored when the Bucks ran away with things, too...just kidding, Brian.

Yesterday's CHL Scores: Scorpions 7, Gorillas 2; Rush 4, Eagles 3.

Yesterday's NHL Scores: Sabres 4, Maple Leafs 1; Bruins 5, Hurricanes 1; Blackhawks 5, Lightning 3; Panthers 4, Devils 0; Canucks 4, Flames 3 (SO); Sharks 4, Oilers 2.

No comments: