Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Return of the Matt

As I had mentioned on Sunday and in the first section of my notebook that ran in today's Times, tonight's game against the Mississippi RiverKings is going to feature the return of several former Bucks, including forward Matt Summers, who was traded under a month ago.

Obviously, I've seen plenty of players get traded since I got here and even more in my lifetime as a ridiculous sports fan, but the Summers trade was a little different for me.

He had moved to Laredo exactly when I did, and we were both starting out something that wasn't new to us by nature, but was our first job as professionals. I saw him at every practice, after every game, and he was always about as nice as a person can get.

When he got traded, I knew that was just the way things go, but I was a little upset that I hadn't been able to say goodbye and figured he felt the same way. Last night, I spoke to him for the first time since and found out that was the case, and of course I was far from the only person he had wanted to see before he left that he hadn't been able to.

I called him primarily to talk to him for my story, but he was asleep on the bus and didn't get back to me until after deadline when the RiverKings arrived in Laredo last night, so we just talked about how things have been going. As his stats can tell you, he's been doing pretty well, averaging a point per game, and he said that he likes the guys he's playing with...but he still seems a little upset about being traded.

Trading him got a mixed reaction from fans, I know, as Summers had always shown potential but a lot of people didn't think he had followed through on it. However, a lot of fans loved him, which isn't surprising considering how friendly and humble he is.

Coach Ruskowski always praised everything about the kid, but when it came down to it, he had to follow through on a trade, and Summers was the only one Kevin Kaminski wanted who Ruskowski was willing to part with.

When I talked to Ruskowski about the trade and about Summers' return for my notebook, he said he liked him a lot, as a player and a person, and wishes he could still have him here. But, obviously, that cannot be the case.

Considering the physicality and aggressiveness "Killer" Kaminski expects from his player, tonight's game could be an interesting one. I'm sure it will be an emotional one for Summers, at least, if not also for the other players who have been on both sides of this matchup. Hopefully nothing like Brent MacSween's return last season, though.

No comments: