Thursday, November 13, 2008

Fuel to the Fire

I had mentioned yesterday that Bryan Benway was saying something of note would happen today...then he sent out this press release this morning.

When I asked him if that was the big news, he said that it might be...but it might not.

Then, on a completely unrelated quest, I went on Facebook and came across this group dedicated to former Oklahoma City Blazers winger Marty Standish, which claims "Marty was traded to the Laredo Bucks on Thursday November 13, 2008," also known as today.

Interesting.

Standish coming to Laredo had been rumored since the Blazers decided to release him, so I guess this isn't a complete surprise if it actually comes to fruition.

The only thing I know for sure is that Standish was not at practice this morning, nor was anyone who hasn't been for the past couple weeks.

But, obviously, the team isn't going to put everything out in the open, and it would take time for him to get here if that is really true.

I'm going to post this now just to get it out there, but I'll have more later on practice and the upcoming games, regardless of whether Standish is headed to Laredo or not.

Obviously the Bucks do have a vet spot open, and Coach Ruskowski has made it pretty clear that he's not 100 percent satisfied with the personnel he has right now, so we'll see what happens.

Coincidentally enough, Standish played on the 1997-98 Memorial Cup Champion Portland Winter Hawks with Bobby Russell, among others, including Andrew Ference.

Now that I'm off on a Sid tangent, NHL All-Star voting has begun, and much to my dismay, it is actually very tedious and for some reason not very compatible with my computer. The results thus far make it pretty evident that Canadiens' fans have too much time on their hands. Or this.

UPDATE: Poinstreak says Oklahoma City has officially waived Standish...meaning there's not going to be a trade. Of course, that doesn't mean he won't be coming to Laredo under his own free will. Meanwhile, the Texas Brahmas have waived former Buck (albeit for just a couple weeks) Ryan Fuller after one game. Poor kid can't seem to catch a break.

ANOTHER UPDATE: I really wish I had taken a screencap of that Standish waiver announcement, because it has mysteriously disappeared. Very interesting.

No comments: