Tuesday, November 4, 2008

First Monthly Honors

The CHL has announced its Player and Goaltender of the Month for the opening month (or at least couple weeks) of the 2007-08, with the honors going to Rapid City Rush forward Rich Hansen and Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees netminder Wylie Rogers, respectively.

Hansen leads the league in scoring, while Rogers leads it in save percentage, so I don't think anyone could argue too much about either selection.

You can read the CHL's press release about Hansen here and the one about Rogers here.

Killer Bees Vice President of Communications Rich Bocchini also sent out a press release, which reveals that this is the first time a Rio goalie has taken the monthly honors since March of 2004, when Jeff Levy shared the award with Scott Reid.

Here is Brian Sandalow's take.

Since the topic of monthly honors is already on the table, I may as well note that Washington Capitals left wing Alexander Semin was named the NHL's inaugural First Star of the Month for this season, while New York Rangers goaltender Henrik Lundqvist is the Second Star and Nashville Predators defenseman Shea Weber is the Third Star. Columbus Blue Jackets center Derick Brassard was named Rookie of the Month.

I can't say I'm much of a fan of Semin...mostly due to his remarks about Sid in this interview, but he certainly came out on fire this season. He should read this, though.

This is slightly random, but I've been wondering; does anyone have an opinion about how I should link to players on here? Sometimes I think it would be best to link to profiles with photos and current stats, but then of course Hockey DB is more comprehensive. I guess I'll just stick to that until told readers would prefer otherwise.

No comments: