Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Penney Out

The Bucks have made their first roster move of the week, placing rookie forward Ryan Penney on the suspended list for the season...on his 21st birthday. Ouch.

Penney was one of the players I expected Coach Ruskowski to be getting rid of after Saturday's loss, but it's doubtable that he'll be the only one.

UPDATE: Apparently, for now, Penney may actually be the only player leaving the team. Of course, that doesn't mean there won't be more changes as the week progresses.

Surprisingly enough, the decision to leave was something Penney had a bit of a say in, as he decided to quit the team prior to any impending decisions Coach Ruskowski could make.

"He called me up on Sunday and said that he had lost interest," Ruskowski said. "He didn't want to play anymore, he didn't want to come to practice; he just thought it was a big effort to do that, and it wasn't fun anymore. If a player feels that way, obviously I don't want him here. He wanted to go back home to see his mom and dad, I guess, so he went back home."

Penney has already left Laredo to go back to Newfoundland. I find this slightly ironic because when I first started looking into Penney, I came across another player named Brian Penney, also from Newfoundland, who apparently left his junior team because he got homesick. I guess it's a Newfoundland thing.

In three games with the team, Penney had no points, only one shot and nine penalty minutes (all of which were earned in unnecessary ways).

1 comment:

Bloatedmoose said...

I wonder who scouted out Penny and recommended him to Rosco. Make's me wonder more about the decision to trade Sums to Mississippi even though we had to give someone up for SeaBass.