Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Aftermath

The guys on the ice at practice today honestly didn't seem too distraught, but the fact is the Bucks have lost one of their top five scorers and no one really knows why.

Money obviously played a part, and Coach Ruskowski mentioned that Lance Monych noted the financial plus side of going to Europe when he informed him that he planned to leave.

Most of the players didn't really want to speak out against their former teammate, who for some had become a close friend, but Ruskowski and player/assistant coach Jeff Bes were pretty honest about the situation.

Since this news is already all over the place, I guess I may as well share my quotes about this specific situation right now.

Here's what Ruskowski had to say:

“I was caught totally off-guard. I had no idea this was happening, I really didn’t. He came into my office (Tuesday) morning and asked to have a word with me. He said, ‘I got an opportunity to go to Europe and play for good money, and I’m going to take it. It’s a chance for me, maybe for next year, too. What do you think?’ And I said, ‘Does it matter what I think? Obviously, you’ve made up your own mind.’ He left (Wednesday) morning at 5 o’clock, so he was obviously well-prepared. This was planned long before he came to talk to me.”

“I have no idea where he’s going. He didn’t say, and I didn’t ask because I really don’t care. All I know is that he left 17 or 18 guys back here wondering what’s going to happen now. Sometimes, you have to play for what’s on the front of your jersey instead of what’s on your back, but it was his decision, I guess. I can’t do anything about it.”

“I’m surprised, and I’m hurt. We put all this time and effort and money into these players, to bring them here, make sure they’re comfortable and make sure they like it here. The fans really get attached to the players. To have those kind of things happen right out of the blue, now I’m scrambling, I’m on the phone trying to get somebody, see if JP’s coming back… it’s been a hectic year so far. I’m just hoping the good Lord blesses us, and we start getting back on track and have things be less hard on us.”

And here are some thoughts from Bes:

“Obviously, it’s a disappointment. He was one of our top forwards and a guy we counted on. He had experience playing at a higher level, he knew what to do to be a professional. We were very disappointed that he decided to leave and go overseas.”

“It definitely came as a surprise to everybody.”

“There’s no good time for something like that to happen, but battling through injuries, playing shorthanded, it certainly doesn’t help the situation. But that’s life. We have to be prepared. One person’s not going to make or break the team. It’s going to give someone else an opportunity to step up and play a big role and hopefully score some goals and be a leader.”

I did follow up with Ruskowski about Jean-Philippe Levasseur, but he said the Springfield Falcons have yet to respond to his questions about the situation. The fact that AHL callup Rob Hisey was replaced on the CHL All-Star roster yesterday and Levasseur has yet to be on the South Texas roster is proof that he hopes to get the goalie back, but that doesn't necessarily mean he will.

Meanwhile, the trainers and equipment managers for the All-Star Game were announced yesterday, and Bucks trainer Bobby Moore and equipment manager Matt Brayfield will be working the game.

Might be some more All-Star news this afternoon, but I won't know that for sure until they release it.

Injured defenseman Jeremy Swanson and forward Justin Styffe watched practice from the stands today, while forward Curtis Billsten did some minimal skating.

Styffe will play this weekend and was sitting out as a precautionary measure, while Billsten is not expected back until after the All-Star Game and Swanson is still on crutches and not anywhere close to getting back on the ice.

Maxime Lincourt, the other injured Buck, was either hiding out in the locker room or not at the arena.

The Colorado Eagles were, though, and took the ice for their practice right around noon. The Bucks only practiced for an hour or so, finishing up with some breakaway drills.

Ruskowski said he will decide based on tomorrow's practice which goalie he'll be starting on Friday against the Eagles and that Igor Agarunov will be bouncing back and forth between forward and defense for the next couple games if he can't find someone to fill a roster spot before then.

That's it for now, but just a reminder... if you leave a comment, please do not swear or use any derogatory slurs or anything of that nature. Some of you have really great things to say but then use a word that I cannot allow to be published due to this blog's affiliation to the newspaper. I understand wanting to insult someone who just walks out on your team, but try to do it with a little less vulgarity.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes it's a major bummer when a player unexpectedly walks out. Lance should have finished his obligation with the Bucks or asked to be traded. At a minimun Monych should have played until a replacement was brought in. Sounds like no character.

I really don't want to talk trash about the player, but I'm disappointed for us fans, and for the team who was counting on him.

Anonymous said...

Well, I guess we can forget about seeing Swanson on the ice this season. Pointstreak has him as gone to season-ending IR as of 12/12/09, which is too bad. He is a solid d-man.

R. Gilnick said...

You don't have two players just up and walk out of a team unless something bad is going on. So what the real story? Who's the locker room sickness?

Anonymous said...

Since Roscoe was blindsided by all of this where was the Captain and the assistants...These guys should be alert to potential problems like this.

Joy Lindsay said...

From what I can gather, there was no problem that anyone noticed. Everyone was blindsided, captain and alternates included, other than Monych and his fiance.

Anonymous said...

What a joke, "I'm hurt"...How many players has Rosco screwed over from the day he started coaching?...Tons...Rosco thinking that his management of players had nothing to do with Monych's decision...Rosco should check the mirror and realize it is him that treats players like meat, therefore why should there be any loyalty to him...There isn't enough money being payed to players to be loyal....