Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Tuesday's Happenings

Melrose was in fact introduced as the Lightning's new head coach on Tuesday. I know it was a very expected event, but it was still nice to see. Was it just me, or did he look 10 years younger at that press conference than he has in all his time at ESPN? Maybe it's that studio lighting...

Greg Rajan has word that the Corpus Christi Rayz will be holding a press conference tomorrow (okay, later today) to announce some news about the team's name and logo. Everyone is expecting a return to the "Ice Rays" moniker the team went by from its inception in 1997 until the change to "Rayz" in 2003.

The Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees are pitching in to help raise money for injured Colorado Eagles defenseman Les Borsheim's family to help pay medical bills by holding an online auction, which can be found here. The team announced these efforts in a letter to fans from recently re-signed left wing Rob Voltera. I'm a sap for sure, but I think he had some great things to say.

NYTimes.com has been my home page ever since I was instructed to make it so in my freshman communications class, and today there were two stories of interest to make the front page, albeit for very brief periods.

The first, a piece about the Austin Ice Bats, is probably more relevant to this blog...but I think most people reading it can also relate to the second, which details the rise in border crossings due to Mexico's lower gas prices.

No comments: