Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Smith Week Continues

After scoring the Bucks' only regulation goal and the only shootout goal overall in the team's 2-1 win last night, rookie All-Star Darryl Smith saw his week get even better as he was named to the Central Hockey League's All-Rookie Team today.

I unwittingly became the one to give Smith the news when I asked him about it assuming he had known, so for that I apologize. But congratulations on the well-deserved honor.

Though Smith was in a little bit of a self-proclaimed point slump prior to last night, he leads the league's rookies with 36 goals and 31 assists for 67 points in 57 games this season.

A few of the players below him have had more chances, playing in 60 or 61 games, while Smith missed a couple during his time with the American Hockey League's Houston Aeros. He is one goal shy of MVP candidate Sebastien Thinel's league lead in that category.

Smith also leads rookies in plus/minus with a plus-18. His closest competition is teammate Devin Featherstone at plus-17.

He is tied for the rookie lead in power-play goals with 10, which leads the Bucks. His three shorthanded goals also lead the team.

The rest of the All-Rookie Team consists of Arizona Sundogs forward Adam Perry, Mississippi RiverKings defenseman Dane Marshall, Odessa Jackalopes forward Jeff Pierce and goaltender Juha Toivonen and Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees defenseman Nicolas Dumoulin.

It makes me feel much better that three of these guys are older than me (even if Dumoulin's only got a couple days).

Smith's All-Rookie selection will be one of the topics of my weekly notebook, which will run in tomorrow's Times, but I'll try not to use all my quotes and information just in case I need it for another story late in the week.

Though I'm not sure I'd go as far as Coach Ruskowski and say it would be a "travesty" should Smith not be named Rookie of the Year, it would be a bit of a surprise.

No comments: