Monday, March 23, 2009

News and Notes

As expected, Brent Cullaton and Serge Dube have been activated from the injured reserve to play in the postseason.

Accordingly, someone had to be released, and Mike Gooch was declared an unrestricted free agent.

Meanwhile, Odessa Jackalopes forward and league scoring leader Sebastien Thinel has been announced as the CHL MVP for this season.

That caps off the year-end player awards, with Kevin Beech and Aaron Schneekloth earning the two honors I forgot to blog about last week.

The playoffs begin tonight, with the Corpus Christi IceRays and Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees starting their 3-game series to battle for a Southern Conference Semifinal spot. The Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs and Rocky Mountain Rage will do the same in the North.

Here are the final regular season standings:
























The Bucks did not practice today, but they will be tomorrow, so I'll be sure to ask around about what happened off the ice during Saturday's 5-2 win over the Jackalopes. Sounds like it was an interesting one.

Meanwhile, I never mentioned New Jersey Devils netminder Martin Brodeur setting a new NHL career wins record last week, but I assume many of you heard about that...and what happened soon thereafter. Jorge, I guess you were right...but I still want to show you that article.

Oh, and this is apparently going on...but I can't really talk (or blog) about it with a straight face.

Yesterday's NHL Scores: Flyers 3, Penguins 1; Bruins 4, Devils 1; Blackhawks 4, Kings 1; Wild 3, Oilers 0; Senators 2, Rangers 1; Sharks 3, Avalanche 1; Ducks 6, Coyotes 2.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, I had heard a much worse story but I guess the guy ain't that bad. One thing for sure though, goalies are a little looney and eccentric.

Any news on amateurs for the playoffs?

Anonymous said...

I was at the game that he broke the record. What an atmosphere! It was a great experience.