Thursday, August 14, 2008

Re-Signing Story

Sorry to be so late in linking this, but here is my story about the Weidlich and Agarunov re-signings from today's Times.

I have at least 10 minutes worth of leftover quotes from coach, so I'll be sure to post some of them later, including some information on what he thinks the lineup is still lacking and what he is looking for as far as goaltending.

For now, here are a couple of other quotes from Iggy about why he's happy to stay in Laredo, playing as both a forward and defenseman and his feelings on the way last season ended :

"I’m very excited. This is really the only place I’d want to play. Laredo’s like my home. This will be my fifth season here, and I really wanted to come back."

"I think it’s great. I love playing both positions. I played 'D' when I was younger and a little bit in juniors, so whenever Terry does put me back on 'D,' I feel comfortable. I like it; it kinda changes up the way you have to think during the season instead of thinking one position, so I like to be put back and forth."

"Losing last year to Arizona in Game 7, especially at home, left a bad taste in our mouths. We just have to learn from it, and if we’re in that position again, come through."

Speaking of Arizona, the Sundogs announced yesterday that defensemen Sean Sullivan and David Schlemko, who each played in Arizona for at least part of the 2007-08 season, will be appearing in two rookie games for the NHL's Phoenix Coyotes against the Los Angeles Kings' prospects.

Sullivan was the captain of the Boston University hockey team when I was in my senior year there, so I had been excited to see him play while he was still with the Sundogs before moving up to the AHL's San Antonio Rampage last season. The Great One will be behind the bench for both games, so this could be a pretty big opportunity for these guys.

No comments: