Thursday, August 13, 2009

Smith to Try Out with Thrashers

I just got off the phone with Darryl Smith, and though I felt bad making the kid talk when he just got his wisdom teeth removed, that was one of my favorite (work-related) phone conversations ever.

As some of you have probably seen my now, Smith will be participating in a prospects tournament with the Atlanta Thrashers in September.

Though the odds are that he will end up playing for the Thrashers' AHL affiliate, the Chicago Wolves, this is an absolutely amazing opportunity for a young player, and the way Smith described his feelings about it was priceless.

It was a lot of fun to watch Smith play this season, but I think it was obvious he deserved to move on, and I'm very happy to see him do so.

There will be a story in tomorrow's Times about this announcement featuring quotes from Smith and Coach Ruskowski, who I also spoke to about the Neil Trimm signing from Tuesday.

I'll post some quotes about the signing as well as more about the Smith announcement later today or at some point tomorrow.

No comments: