Saturday, August 29, 2009

More Rivet Quotes

You can find my story about the Adam Rivet re-signing here, if you are subscribed to our online edition. Here are the leftover quotes from my one-on-one interviews with Coach Ruskowski and Rivet.

Ruskowski on Rivet:
Glenn Hart probably put it best… he’s just a good human being, he’s a good hockey player, he’s great in the community, great in the dressing, he plays hard every time, he wears his passion on his sleeve, and he comes to play all the time. I know what he brings, he brings it every night, and that’s what I can count on. He’s just a good person and a really good player, an All-Star player, so I’d be stupid not to bring someone like him back.

Ruskowski on last season:
It was a tough year for everybody, to tell you the truth. It was a tough year, what were we, 39-25? Some people would die for that, but for us, it’s not what we want, especially to making the playoffs to get knocked out in the first round. Everybody had a tough year, so we’re trying to rebuild, regroup, rebound, and I think Adam coming back is a guy we can count on and a huge, huge asset for us. Now with the young kids coming up, they can look at what he does and emulate him as best they can. If they emulate guys like Jeff Bes, Serge Dube, Adam Rivet, Igor Agarunov, we’re going to be in pretty good shape. Those guys are good hockey players, they’re good people, they’re good leaders, and they know how to win.

Ruskowski on team leaders:
We’re having a young team, so he’s going to have to step up and be a leader, tell the kids what to do and how to do it, his work ethic and how to build it. If the kids are having problems, on the ice or off the ice, they can go to Adam and Adam will tell them the right things to do. I feel very confident that when they talk to Adam, things get done because when they talk to Besser, Dube or Rivet, things get done the right way.

Ruskowski on other returning players:
We’re still negotiating on Besser, still trying to talk to Serge Dube, I don’t know if that’s going to work or not, but we’re trying to do our best to get those guys back. Nothing for sure, they’re still thinking about it, but if we can get them back, it’ll be a huge asset for us. If we can even get one of them back, it’s going to be a huge asset for us.

Rivet on returning:
I’m excited. It’s always fun to come back here to Laredo. I’m looking forward to the season, we’re going to be a different team this year, as far as youth-wise, but it’s exciting.

Rivet on a leadership role:
I think the main thing is just talking to the guys. In the past, we had an older team, we didn’t really have to have one-on-one conversations. This year, particularly, the younger guys… have to build their confidence, hopefully.

Rivet on his goals for the season:
Especially for the team, obviously a winning season and trying to get back to the Finals. We’ve been successful, fortunately, in making those long runs into the playoffs, and that’s always the idea going into the season. From what I understand, we have some solid young players. As far as personally, I want a lot better season than I had last year. It was a tough season, and I know I have to pick it up. This summer, I’ve been able to get away; I went home and totally refreshed myself, and I’m really looking forward and excited to play hockey again. That’s the big thing for me; I know last year, I wasn’t as excited, but this year, I can’t wait to get on the ice and get going.

No comments: