Friday, April 9, 2010

Packing It Up

The Bucks held their final media availability this morning at Laredo Energy Arena as Coach Ruskowski conducted player evaluations with everyone on the team.

I talked to him, Jeff Bes, Adam Rivet and Brent Cullaton about a variety of topics, including how their season ended, their thoughts on the season as a whole and their plans for next season.

Cullaton said that he will without a doubt be a full-time coach next season, as another retirement comeback is not in his future.

Bes and Rivet, of course, both do plan to return.

Everyone was both disappointed by the season and happy with the character the team showed throughout an adventure of a campaign.

The players I spoke to all said they felt they and their teammates had left it all on the ice, but Ruskowski did not seem to agree with that statement entirely.

He did not name names, saying he did not want to segregate his players that way, but he did say that some rose to the occasion and others disappeared when they were needed most.

Today was a busy day in the office, and I was told to hold onto my stuff from this morning for a story to run in Sunday's paper, so I don't have quotes typed up yet.

I'll do a massive blog post with all of those once my story - the final one I'll be writing this season - has been printed.

The Southern Conference Finals opened up tonight, and the team that eliminated the Bucks - the Allen Americans - jumped out to a 1-0 series lead with a 4-3 win over the top-seeded Odessa Jackalopes.

Just for kicks, I asked everyone I spoke to this morning who they thought would win this series, or win it all this season, but no one gave me a finite answer.

Bes said he hopes the Americans win it all, of course so the Bucks can say they lost to the eventual champs, and Ruskowski said that the Americans will need more scoring that doesn't come from their top line.

Seems they got a bit of that tonight, but we'll see how the series plays out.

No comments: