Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Bucks Sign Mohr

Yesterday, the Bucks announced that they have signed defenseman Jarred Mohr for the upcoming season. There are so many plays on that last name that can (and have) been made that I think I'll just leave it at that.

As I mentioned in my last post, the suspension of operations by the Rage, New Mexico Scorpions and Oklahoma City Blazers has added some new talent to the free agent pool, and the Mohr signing marks the first time the Bucks have taken advantage of that.

Coach Ruskowski also mentioned being interested in a couple other guys who played for one of those teams but did not name names, and that was included in my story, which I'm just going to paste here in its entirety:


Bucks sign former Rage defenseman Mohr

By JOY LINDSAY
LAREDO MORNING TIMES

The Laredo Bucks announced on Monday that they have signed former Rocky Mountain Rage defenseman Jarred Mohr for the upcoming season.

Mohr, a 24-year-old with three seasons of professional experience, comes to Laredo after being highly recommended by everyone whose path he has crossed.

"I listened to a lot of a people who have played with and against him," Bucks head coach/general manager Terry Ruskowski said."(Former Laredo and Rocky Mountain captain) Brent Cullaton spoke very highly of him, I called (former Rage head coach) Tracy Egeland and he spoke very highly of him... he was one of those players everyone seemed to think was an unsung hero with a lot of potential.He's very steady and very eager to come to Laredo.

"I expect him to be a huge asset to our team and to our community.He seems like that type of person... when I talked to him, he even motivated me."

Mohr played last season with the Rage, scoring three goals and handing out 18 assists while accumulating 52 penalty minutes in 63 regular season games.Prior to that, he spent time in the East Coast and International Hockey Leagues and played four years in the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League.

In his 2005-06 season with the SJHL's Battleford North Stars, he racked up career highs across the board, notching six goals, 29 assists and 121 penalty minutes in 53 games.Ruskowski sees the 5-foot-11, 185-pound blueliner as someone who will fit very well into the system he wants his defense to play this season.

"He does his job very well, so you don't need to rely on anyone else to do it for him," Ruskowski said."When you know you can count on someone, that helps, especially with defensive partners. He also does a good job moving the puck and getting up on the play, and that's something I want to see from my defensive corps on a regular basis.I want all six of them to move the puck quickly and get more involved on the play."

Mohr became available when Rocky Mountain suspended operations for the 2009-10 campaign in June.Since then, the New Mexico Scorpions and Oklahoma City Blazers have also decided to sit out the upcoming season, leaving various Central Hockey League stars on the open market.

"I've been talking to another guy from Rocky Mountain and a couple from Oklahoma City," Ruskowski said."And a goalie I was talking to kind of pulled the rug out from under me and went to another team from New Mexico."


That bit about the goalie from New Mexico was pretty interesting to me because it doesn't leave much to the imagination, but I guess that doesn't mean much to the Bucks anymore. We'll see if any of those other players end up coming to Laredo.

Mohr is a native of Regina, Saskatchewan, a town that will forever remind of this man and the adorable way he says its name.

I don't usually like to copy and paste stories on here, but since they can no longer be read on our Web site without a subscription, this seemed like the easiest way to get all this information across right now. It won't become a habit, though, and hopefully at least some of you will sign up for one of our online subscriptions, which run $1/week or cheaper.

That'll do it for tonight, as it is time to start taking Little League scores and looking for an MLB All-Star Game picture. Please let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know about currently or if you'd like me to elaborate on anything I mentioned in my last post.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What other team from New Mexico? Couldn't find one, unless it is from an amateur league.

Joy Lindsay said...

Not to another team in New Mexico, but a goalie from New Mexico to another team.